Happy Winter Fireworks season! It kicked off today (12/20) and goes through January 1, 2014. Have fun, but please be safe. Thanks to KXAN....
Here is a list of safety tips while you ring in 2014! Safely in this case makes BIG HAPPY!
(KXAN) Travis County will not be restricting the sale of fireworks during the upcoming holidays, but they suggest people take some precautions to stay safe this season:
- Buy from reliable fireworks sellers only, and never attempt to make your own fireworks.
- To detonate fireworks, find a flat surface, away from buildings, dry leaves and grass.
- Have water on hand in case of a fire.
- Insist on adult supervision when buying or setting off fireworks.
- Read and follow label directions, warnings and instructions.
- Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never try to re-Iight fireworks that have not fully functioned.
- Never give fireworks to small children; even sparklers can cause serious burns.
The winter retail fireworks season begins December 20 and runs through midnight January 1. Fireworks are not allowed in Travis County Parks and parks managed by Travis County. The sale and possession of fireworks are prohibited within the city limits of Austin.
For more information, contact the Fire Marshal's Office at 512-854-4621
HAVE A HAPPY & SAFE WINTER FIREWORKS SEASON!